De-mystifying and explaining the principles of engineering and construction contracts
This workshop is being presented together with HKA Global (Pty) Ltd.
Drawing on his experience as an attorney and as a senior legal adviser for many years to a major listed South African manufacturing group of companies, and now as a presenter of seminars for Binnington Copeland & Associates in the South African engineering and construction industry, Hugh Lane will de-mystify many of the concepts peculiar to construction law and, in a practical way, assist practitioners avoid pitfalls for the unwary. This workshop deals generically with engineering and construction contracts, and does not focus on any particular standard-form construction contract.
Download the brochure and registration form.
Overview of programme
Nature and basic types of construction contracts
• Consumer protection
• Choice of standard-form contracts
• Correct use of letters of intent
• Role of construction programmes and method statements
• Construction guarantees
• Transfer of ownership of construction materials
• Time-barring; Penalties
• Extensions of time; ‘Mora’
• Risk of loss or damage to the work in progress
• Employer’s liability for harm caused by his contractor
• Useful insights into the concepts of design, materials,
workmanship, defects and fitness for purpose
• Copyright in construction drawings
• Unjust enrichment; Insolvency
• Excluding and limiting liability
• Practical remedies for breach of contract
• Adjudication as a form of dispute resolution
Cape Town: 22-23 August 2017
Durban: 3-4 October 2017
Registration fees (VAT incl.)
Practising attorneys: R2 900 pp
Non-practising attorneys / Others: R3 200 pp
For more information on this workshop, email: Phyllis Mphasha - Phyllis@LSSALEAD.org.za or Tel +27 (0)12 441 4603.